We hope you'll enjoy your stay... forever...

Yume Nikki anyone?

Becca-chan

Yume Nikki anyone?

Post by Becca-chan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Due to me recently downloading and playing the game,
    I was just wondering if anyone else has played Yume Nikki and have any theories on Madotsuki's dreams?
    supercomputer276

Re: Yume Nikki anyone?

Post by supercomputer276 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:06 pm

I've downloaded and installed it, but my projects are keeping me distracted from playing it.
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:23 pm

supercomputer276 wrote:I've downloaded and installed it, but my projects are keeping me distracted from playing it.

That's alright
    taitofan

Post by taitofan on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:49 am

I love love LOVE Yume Nikki. Hell, I love Nightmare Fuel period, which is why I got into the game in the first place. And that was over three years ago.

As for my theory on Madotsuki and her dream world... It's really spoilery (as in, I give away the ending), so please, beware of that if you choose to open this.

Spoiler:
    Madotsuki is obviously a hikikomori, but I think there's more to it then that. I think that the prominent figures in her dream (Poniko, Masada, Monoko, Monoe, the Toriningen, etc) are all people she knew in real life. Masada was her music teacher, Poniko/Monoe/Monoko were her few friends, the Toriningen were the bullies that picked on her--she went to school with all of them.

But then things started going wrong. Monoe just disappeared one day. Monoko was in a car crash that mangled her. Masada was stabbed by a burglar. Then something really big happened. Something that turned the world post-apocalyptic. The fallout melts Poniko's face before she dies. Now in a post-apocalyptic world and the few people that cared for her gone, she becomes a shut in. It isn't safe to go out even if she wanted to. So she lives in her dreams, keeping her dream diary because she figures that at least her loved ones will remain in her memory.

But poor Madotsuki finds that no, things aren't okay. Her mental scars run too deep. If she tries to talk to Monoe, she still disappears. Monoko is still mangled. Poniko turns into Uboa, who resembles her form post-fallout. Masada has his own deformity. The Toriningen still hate her, or ignore her completely. And she can't stop her dream self from knifing her friends. But she thinks, 'if I can just collect these effects in my dreams, maybe I can make them better.'

Of course, all that happens is that she has nothing left. Nothing changes. Her friends are still dead in real life and constantly tormented even in her dreams. So she drops the effects, wakes up, and jumps off her apartment balcony. Because if she's destined to be alone in real life and her dreams both, maybe she'll have more luck in death. (And really, it's post-apocalypse; she won't leave and her family is dead. She likely would have starved to death eventually.)

Yeah, that's my oh-so-cheery tl;dr head-canon. Personally, I'm up for anyone's theories, though I think the transexual one is the least likely of all the main ones. XD A lot of popular theories are in mine too. I have theories on effects too, but they're mostly what everyone thinks, so I won't go into those right now. I can back up my own theories if anyone wants to know why I think something in particular, but this is already looooong so I'm just gonna leave it as-is.

Gosh, I'm depressing myself. Um, I'll just add that I really dig MasadaxMadotsuki and PonikoxMadotsuki. I want an Uboa plushie~ I'm not sure who my favorite character is...probably Madotsuki or Poniko.
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

taitofan wrote:I love love LOVE Yume Nikki. Hell, I love Nightmare Fuel period, which is why I got into the game in the first place. And that was over three years ago.

As for my theory on Madotsuki and her dream world... It's really spoilery (as in, I give away the ending), so please, beware of that if you choose to open this.

Spoiler:
    Madotsuki is obviously a hikikomori, but I think there's more to it then that. I think that the prominent figures in her dream (Poniko, Masada, Monoko, Monoe, the Toriningen, etc) are all people she knew in real life. Masada was her music teacher, Poniko/Monoe/Monoko were her few friends, the Toriningen were the bullies that picked on her--she went to school with all of them.

But then things started going wrong. Monoe just disappeared one day. Monoko was in a car crash that mangled her. Masada was stabbed by a burglar. Then something really big happened. Something that turned the world post-apocalyptic. The fallout melts Poniko's face before she dies. Now in a post-apocalyptic world and the few people that cared for her gone, she becomes a shut in. It isn't safe to go out even if she wanted to. So she lives in her dreams, keeping her dream diary because she figures that at least her loved ones will remain in her memory.

But poor Madotsuki finds that no, things aren't okay. Her mental scars run too deep. If she tries to talk to Monoe, she still disappears. Monoko is still mangled. Poniko turns into Uboa, who resembles her form post-fallout. Masada has his own deformity. The Toriningen still hate her, or ignore her completely. And she can't stop her dream self from knifing her friends. But she thinks, 'if I can just collect these effects in my dreams, maybe I can make them better.'

Of course, all that happens is that she has nothing left. Nothing changes. Her friends are still dead in real life and constantly tormented even in her dreams. So she drops the effects, wakes up, and jumps off her apartment balcony. Because if she's destined to be alone in real life and her dreams both, maybe she'll have more luck in death. (And really, it's post-apocalypse; she won't leave and her family is dead. She likely would have starved to death eventually.)

Yeah, that's my oh-so-cheery tl;dr head-canon. Personally, I'm up for anyone's theories, though I think the transexual one is the least likely of all the main ones. XD A lot of popular theories are in mine too. I have theories on effects too, but they're mostly what everyone thinks, so I won't go into those right now. I can back up my own theories if anyone wants to know why I think something in particular, but this is already looooong so I'm just gonna leave it as-is.

Gosh, I'm depressing myself. Um, I'll just add that I really dig MasadaxMadotsuki and PonikoxMadotsuki. I want an Uboa plushie~ I'm not sure who my favorite character is...probably Madotsuki or Poniko.

Those theories are awesome~

I know that I came up with a few theories while speaking with my sister several months ago now, although some of them mirror your theories. O_o

I could write some of them down though.
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Sorry for the double post ^^;
    But I figured that I'd write my theories here, so that the previous quote wouldn't end up getting stretched.

Although as taitofan did so, I think I'll put a spoiler tag on them since they might be spoilerific for someone who hasn't played the game yet.

Spoiler:
    To start off with, my particular thought of Madotsuki is that she's around 10 or 11 years old, and for some reason, has shut herself away in her room.
    She refuses to go anywhere else, because there's something on the other side of the door that she must be afraid of.

Going around in her dreamworld, there's no doubting that she was most likely in ( or witnessed) some kind of traumatic event.
    This would explain the countless places where there's decapitated parts of human limbs and generally other nasty imagery that can be found in certain worlds.

Between me and my sister, we've speculated that there may of been problems that had arose with Madotsuki and her parents, perhaps the mother and father divorced one another and she had originally gone with one of the parents, but then an accident happened, maybe something to do with the rain and a stoplight, with one extra victim being Monoko.

We even believe that the dead body in the middle of the road is that of her father, and it's not too hard to imagine a dazed Madotsuki stumbling around in the road.

After this, she may of stayed with her mother (represented by Poniko) but friction ended up coming between them, due to what had happened.
    And Madotsuki may of liked to wind her mother up on purpose by switching lightswitches on and off whenever they had company over; eventually perhaps the mother snapped ( Uboa representing this particular thing) and maybe set Madotsuki up for boarding school.

Maybe the bullies there are what the Torringen represent, although the calmer ones represent the wardens of the school.
    (In Numbers world, in that area where there's loads of beds, you have that one calm Torringen patrolling the area like a warden on night-watch)

Masada could of been Madotsuki's teacher, who became something of a father figure to the recently bereaved Madotsuki ( in Masada's full name, there's the 'Dada' name which is like a child's way of saying Dad) and was the only one who tried to help her and take her away from all that trouble...but he could of been hurt while trying to save her from the bullies.

Aside from that, it would seem that the other things I can assume of Madotsuki is that she was a gamer, had an interest in fairy-tales and had an immense imagination.
    BoneGirly

Post by BoneGirly on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Ah!
    I love Yume Nikki! Its such a shame that I lost my download of it after my computer crashed Sad

I have to say its one of the most creative games I had the pleasure to play. Just the atmosphere of the dreams makes me feel at home <3
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:07 pm

BoneGirly wrote:Ah!
    I love Yume Nikki! Its such a shame that I lost my download of it after my computer crashed Sad

I have to say its one of the most creative games I had the pleasure to play. Just the atmosphere of the dreams makes me feel at home <3

:: Nods, nods:: I love it a lot too >w< the worlds featured in it are very interesting.
    And I can help!

You can download the game ( version 0.10) from a site called Madotsuki's Closet.
    maddly

Post by maddly on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:53 pm

kjsdfye7fyh 7rw8g i love yummy nikki and i am currently in the process of making a masada cosplay

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm