We hope you'll enjoy your stay... forever...

Gregory Horror Show: Another World [Manga]

supercomputer276

Re: Gregory Horror Show: Another World [Manga]

Post by supercomputer276 on Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 pm

You don't see any difference because there really isn't any. The CBRs labeled as raw are just Becca's scans; the only thing I've changed are the filenames and the adding of the credit text to the eyecatchers.
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree on Sat May 28, 2011 11:34 pm

The flags in the first panel on pg 3 saids 'real estate,' and the store in the second panel saids 'Yamaneko realtor'

And although I haven't taken any offense to it, I just want to note that I'm a girl ^^;
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Sun May 29, 2011 2:19 am

Oh. No offense meant. ...No offense I made either. At least I don't think so. I have a tendency of accidentally insulting people sometimes.

I'll get started on the first chapter's localization as soon as I can. Once it's done, I put it up on Mediafire.
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Sun May 29, 2011 8:34 am

Here's the pages you're looking for.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Sun May 29, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks a lot, Becca!

Hey Nilgiree, I need some clarification on a line. First chapter, page 13
    T: But it looks like a really expansive place?
    I don't get it. Was there a pun here before that you adopted, or...?
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree on Sun May 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Thank you Becca! >3<

And for the line in pg 13. expansive should be expensive. Tooru is wondering whether a place that looks as nice as Gregory House would be within his budget. Sorry about the typo ;;OTL
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Ah, thank you. I just thought there might have been a double-meaning there since Gregory House is shown to be a fairly large place. I don't think even the "hallow Earth" theory can explain the location of the Speed Mouse.
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Mon May 30, 2011 6:22 pm

At long last, I've completed the localization of the first chapter! Once both Becca and Nilgiree have approved it, I'll start on making the translated pages. I want to keep as close as possible to the spirit of the original, and with that intent anyone is free to propose modifications to it.

Also, to see and download any files I have on Mediafire relating to Project Another World, you can take a look at the public folder at this link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Mon May 30, 2011 6:47 pm

supercomputer276 wrote:At long last, I've completed the localization of the first chapter! Once both Becca and Nilgiree have approved it, I'll start on making the translated pages. I want to keep as close as possible to the spirit of the original, and with that intent anyone is free to propose modifications to it.

Also, to see and download any files I have on Mediafire relating to Project Another World, you can take a look at the public folder at this link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Woohoo, that's always good to hear! Very Happy

As far as I can see, it looks fine.
    The only thing I'm puzzled about is the ending of Realtor's line on page 6
    " You’re just not the first freeter I’ve had to deal with, is all!!"
    mainly it's just the 'is all' bit that puzzles me.

Aside from that, the localization has came out very well!
    I'm looking forward to many more translations and localizations of the other chapters.
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Mon May 30, 2011 8:26 pm

Yeah, if I recall correctly, I had particular trouble with that line. Perhaps "is all" sounds too young given the speaker. How about "that's all"? I think that sounds a little better.

AlgusUnderdunk

Post by AlgusUnderdunk on Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 am

GAH! I'm so glad I kept checking back every so often! I've been looking for the Manga for quite a while, glad someone finally imported it!
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree on Tue May 31, 2011 2:52 am

Yeah, I think 'that's all' would sound a bit better.
    I also think that the last line on pg 13 should stay 'I was waiting for you, sir' since it makes the introduction sound a little more natural.

But other than that I think this is great! If you have any problems with my translations though, don't hesitate to tell me so I'll be careful with the other chapters. I don't want to make them too difficult to localize.
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Tue May 31, 2011 3:40 am

The line was changed since that's Gregory's catchphrase at least in the anime's English dub, but I admit it makes more sense when Gregory House is a hotel rather than some sort of apartment complex. Looking at the localization file, I now see that I neglected to remove the translated version (in parentheses) since I was rather... how to say it, unsure of going so far off the original text just for a reference. I don't want to use the exact translation, though, if only for some arbitrary reason I can't explain and is probably a sign of my control-freak nature leaking out despite efforts against it (I tangent way too easily); how's about "I've been waiting for you, sir."?

On a side note, I had completely forgotten that four is an extremely unlucky number in Japan until I read the chapter 2 translation, and given the context, the "error" joke I considered earlier could actually sorta fit. Lucky me. Very Happy

And speaking of chapter 2, thanks to the translation I noticed that the first two pages were backwards in the CBR file. Although I've corrected the file on my machine, I haven't re-uploaded it; it will be corrected for the translated version.
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree on Tue May 31, 2011 6:06 am

Sure, that works just as well^^

And I understand what you mean. To tell the truth, I felt kinda weird when I first saw how much you changed the sentences in the localization (more phrasing wise, you're pretty good at keeping the original meanings). I'm sure it was more because of me being completely new to scanlation and was just surprised, but I think I kinda felt like I wasn't getting 'my way.' But after looking over it again I thought it sounded much better than what I first had Smile
    Anyway, I'll tell you when I think the localization goes off too far from the original context, but since you seem to have the most experience with scanlations, I trust you with the final decisions ( ' w ' )b
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 am

AlgusUnderdunk wrote:GAH! I'm so glad I kept checking back every so often! I've been looking for the Manga for quite a while, glad someone finally imported it!

Hehe~ I did it especially for you guys, plus I'm really glad to have the manga I wanted for so long >w<

@ supercomputer - " That's all" sounds good.
    And XD Trust Tooru's room number to the same as the error code *and* an unlucky number in Japan.
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Tue May 31, 2011 1:52 pm

Nilgiree wrote:And I understand what you mean. To tell the truth, I felt kinda weird when I first saw how much you changed the sentences in the localization (more phrasing wise, you're pretty good at keeping the original meanings). I'm sure it was more because of me being completely new to scanlation and was just surprised, but I think I kinda felt like I wasn't getting 'my way.' But after looking over it again I thought it sounded much better than what I first had Smile
    Anyway, I'll tell you when I think the localization goes off too far from the original context, but since you seem to have the most experience with scanlations, I trust you with the final decisions ( ' w ' )b

Heh. The most experience I've had with scanlations is just reading several of them; this is the first time I've attempted to make one myself. The way you kinda felt is the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid, since with such a small team each one of us is vital. Thus why I try to avoid referring to myself as the project leader, since I want to avoid belittling you and Becca, and also why I want both of you to check my localization before I make the pages.

Before I get started making the changes, I want to get the issue of fonts out of the way. THE TEXT WILL BE IN ALL CAPS AND KEEP IN TRADITION WITH AMERICAN COMICS, but I've noticed that about each character has a different font for their text bubbles at some point. My default font is Comic Sans MS and will probably be what I use for Tooru and the realtor, and the thicker emphasized text could be handled with Impact, but what font do I use for Gregory (at least when he's talking to those two ladies)? As long as it's freely available, I can use it.
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Tue May 31, 2011 2:11 pm

supercomputer276 wrote:
    Heh. The most experience I've had with scanlations is just reading several of them; this is the first time I've attempted to make one myself. The way you kinda felt is the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid, since with such a small team each one of us is vital. Thus why I try to avoid referring to myself as the project leader, since I want to avoid belittling you and Becca, and also why I want both of you to check my localization before I make the pages.

Before I get started making the changes, I want to get the issue of fonts out of the way. THE TEXT WILL BE IN ALL CAPS AND KEEP IN TRADITION WITH AMERICAN COMICS, but I've noticed that about each character has a different font for their text bubbles at some point. My default font is Comic Sans MS and will probably be what I use for Tooru and the realtor, and the thicker emphasized text could be handled with Impact, but what font do I use for Gregory (at least when he's talking to those two ladies)? As long as it's freely available, I can use it.

The way I see it, Gregs is speaking quite gently when he's talking to those two ladies, so a font with a kind of friendly look would suit it.

Maybe the 'JasmineUPC' font?
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:57 am

I like Becca's suggestion, it's simple but a tad fancier than the default font.
    But I think we should avoid comic sans. I hear it's a really hated font. Also I think most scanlations use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], not to mention the font makes all the text look capitalized so you'll have less to retype.
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:30 am

@ Becca-chan:
    JasmineUPC seems a little on the small side (this is actually 18pt right here), but I think I can make it work.

---

@ Nilgiree
    I don't know why people would hate Comic Sans MS. It's my main font for my webcomics and-

...Actually that would explain a few things. But I digress.

AnimeAce seems like it'll do just fine. Once I've gotten a good night's rest, I'll get around to translating one page as a sort of test and see what you guys think of it.

---

Also, I've some concerns concerning the transparent word balloons on the first page, specifically removing the original Japanese text seamlessly. Looks especially difficult given the "texture" of the page. Anyone have suggestions on that?
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:41 am

OK, I've assembled a sample page, although sadly I've lost my editing file so if I have to make changes I'll need to recreate it from scratch. This gives a general idea of what the translated pages will look like.

Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 am

supercomputer276 wrote:OK, I've assembled a sample page, although sadly I've lost my editing file so if I have to make changes I'll need to recreate it from scratch. This gives a general idea of what the translated pages will look like.

It looks good, supercomputer!
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:22 pm

I've completed the first version of the first chapter's translated pages!

I feel, however, this isn't the final version. Not only am I not satisfied with my idea of coping with the first full-colored page, but on some of the pages, my attempts to cover up the Japanese text were way too obvious and don't meet my quality standards. I believe those pages will need rescans so I can more easily match the background color. Thankfully, there's only two of those pages bad enough to require that: 10 and 8 (as numbered when this file is viewed in Comical).
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:46 am

Would you like me to clean some of them up? Here's what I did for page10

Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 am

@ supercomputer - Just downloading the latest one now, I'll let you know what I think of it.

- Edit - It looks fine, the choice of font goes well with the scenes and just seeing the chapter translated makes me feel quite giddy with joy.

@ Nilgiree - If you could clean up some of the pages, that would be great.
    Just as long as you don't mind doing it. ^^;
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Whoo, that's awesome, Nil! If you could patch up those points, that'd be awesome! Although if I have to revise the text on the pages, you'll need to do it again, though hopefully that won't happen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:17 pm